Is Your Skilled Trades Job Bothering Your Hands? What To Do

If you have spent years working a skilled trade job that put a lot of stress on your hands and fingers, and you are now having problems with your grip and controlling the motions of your joints, it's time to see a hand doctor. A hand specialist can look at the hand to see what damage has been done, what repairs could be possible, and what needs to change to improve your quality of life and the use of your hand. Here are a few things you want to consider.

Arthritis Treatment

Arthritis may be starting to set in if you have worn down the cartilage in the joints of your hand and the bones are starting to rub together. When this happens you need to add supplements that help to lubricate your joints, you want to get pain relief treatments, and there are therapy programs to help strengthen the muscles in the hands without damaging the joints more. The doctor will suggest treatment based on how bad your arthritis is.

Carpal Tunnel Surgery  

If the transverse ligament is putting pressure on the nerves in your hand, this could be causing the shaking or involuntary movements that you feel throughout your hand. With carpal tunnel surgery, the ligament is cut and pressure is removed to help prevent the pain and complications. This surgery may be the best option for your treatment, and you may have to do both hands. Doing one at a time so you aren't without the use of both hands would be best.

Braces and Tape

Different types of braces and tape can sometimes help with the carpal tunnel symptoms, depending on where the pain is, and if the wrist is weak and doesn't have enough support. Talk with the hand doctor about wearing a brace while using your hands, if it doesn't restrict usability, to see if this could help.

These are just a few of the things that you want to look into to stop the pain that you're dealing with and so you can start to preserve your hands. You have to use these hands for the rest of your life, and you want to be able to control them and use them without a great deal of soreness and pain. Find a hand specialist in your area and make an appointment so you can try to restore and improve the health of your hands. contact a clinic like Town Center Orthopaedic Associates, P.C. to learn more.